This issue includes 3 Perspective reviews and 24 original research papers, covering a wide range of topics in chemistry, as befits the broad scope of New Journal of Chemistry.
The Perspectives review progress in the areas of:
* fluorescent chemosensors based on fluorenes (by the groups of Ping Lu and Yanguang Wang of Zhejiang University);
* hydroxylation of benzene using molecular sieve-based catalysts (by the groups of Tao Jiang and Buxing Han at the IC-CAS in Beijing);
* blue phosphorescent dyes for OLEDs (by the groups of Cheuk-Lam Ho and Wai-Yeung Wong at Hong Kong Baptist University).
|“Fluorescent chemosensors based on 9-cycloheptatrienylidene fluorenes (9-CHFs)” by Binbin Hu, Ping Lu and Yanguang Wang, New J. Chem., 2013, 37, 1645-1653. DOI: 10.1039/C2NJ41063J|
|“Catalytic hydroxylation of benzene to phenol with hydrogen peroxide using catalysts based on molecular sieves” by Tao Jiang, Weitao Wang and Buxing Han, New J. Chem., 2013, 37, 1654-1664. DOI: 10.1039/C3NJ41163J|
|“Small-molecular blue phosphorescent dyes for organic light-emitting devices” by Cheuk-Lam Ho and Wai-Yeung Wong, New J. Chem., 2013, 37, 1665-1683. DOI: 10.1039/C3NJ00170A|
The work of two other groups is featured on the covers:
* polypyridine complexes as sensors for nitric oxide (a contribution from the group of Kenneth Kam-Wing Lo at City University of Hong Kong) are presented on the outside front cover in a depiction of the traditional fire dragon dance;
* naphthalene diimides for organic n-type semiconductors (work done by the group of Deqing Zhang at the IC-CAS in Beijing) are highlighted the inside front cover.
|“Rhenium(I) polypyridine complexes functionalized with a diaminoaromatic moiety as phosphorescent sensors for nitric oxide” by Alex Wing-Tat Choi, Che-Shan Poon, Hua-Wei Liu, Heung-Kiu Cheng and Kenneth Kam-Wing Lo, New J. Chem., 2013, 37, 1711-1719. DOI: 10.1039/C3NJ00033H|
|“New core-expanded naphthalene diimides with different functional groups for air-stable solution-processed organic n-type semiconductors” by Xin Chen, Jianguo Wang, Guanxin Zhang, Zitong Liu, Wei Xu and Deqing Zhang, New J. Chem., 2013, 37, 1720-1727. DOI: 10.1039/C3NJ00050H|
We are very thankful to the three guest editors (Vivian W.W. Yam, Xuhong Qian and Jiannian Yao) who organised this issue, and to all of the authors who submitted their papers for inclusion in this themed issue.
We sincerely hope that you enjoy reading this issue—let us know what you think of it!