This update includes further performance improvements and improved functionality for the RSC Publishing Platform:
Book landing page
- Design change have been made to show which chapters you have access to through colour coding. Colours are green for full access and white for no access. This will be changed to white for ‘pay per view access’ in the future. A future category of ‘not available’ may also be added in the future for books or chapters that we do not have the rights to distribute online, but wish to list on the book pages. This will allow us to have a single book shop online (and remove our old online catalogue of print titles). View an example book page.
- Related Book Chapters and Related Journal Articles sections added, to showcase similar content available from the site.
Book chapter landing page
- Each chapter landing page now displays the first paragraph from the chapter if an abstract of the chapter is not available, which is the case for books up to 2010. View an example chapter page.
- Related Chapters and Related Articles section has been improved, to showcase similar content available from the site.
Find an Issue
The ‘Find an Issue’ service now copes better with invalid combinations of Journal Names, Issue Numbers or Years and attempts to display suggestions to help you find the content you are searching for.
Journal Landing Page
The issue navigation section for journal issues was simplified and tided up.
Citation Download for BibTeX
Download citation in BibTeX format now correctly delivers a BibTeX file, where previously a generic .RIS format was downloaded.
Personal User Profiles
- Usability improvements were made to the Favorites section. This function allows you to store favourite articles (at the moment by DOI) in your personal user profile. This function will developed to interface with mobile access at a future date.
- Improvements were made to the account activation email messages.
Improvements to Simple Search
Entering a journal name on its own in the simple search box on each page will now direct you to the journals homepage, rather than search all content for that search text. Try now for Organic & Biomolecular Chemistry (http://pubs.rsc.org/en/Results?SearchText=obc)
New pages are now available for viewing the platform on mobile browsers, such as iPhone. Mobile views are available for article landing pages and login pages at the moment, allowing you to follow links directly to a page designed for the mobile view. The following pages have been implemented:
- Article landing page
- Personal User Profile login page
- Subscriber login page
You can view full-text of any free content available to you via your personal user account on a mobile device, and also have full access if you are within your institution’s registered IP range. Register for a personal user account.
Implemented OpenURL for Non-RSC Content
Links to ‘Non-RSC Content’ are links to articles outside of the RSC Publishing Platform. These links come from RSC abstract and indexing databases and help direct you to other content of interest. Subscribers to the RSC abstracts and indexing databases can view additional details of the records. You can now link to the source records via OpenURL if this has been implemented by your institution. Try this example to see whether OpenURL has been set up for your institution. To set up OpenURL linking your librarian should register the following in our Librarians Portal: base URL of your OpenURL server, Open URL image file.
- Fixed: Some users with Google Toolbar installed were directed to the Google Robots page, instead of the human interface.
- Article abstracts with multiple paragraphs now display correctly.
- Fixed: .RIS export was broken for multiple exports that contained both book chapters and journal articles.
- Some special characters were breaking the site search, such as ‘&’.