We wish to extend our sincerest congratulations to all of our Board Members, as they continue to impress the community with their achievements and contributions!
Several of our Chemical Science Board Members have been recognized for outstanding contributions to their respective fields.
- Professor Vy Dong was recognized for her contributions and merit by the University of California, Irvine with a Lauds and Laurels Award and also received a Distinguished Alumni Award.
- Professor Dean Toste, who has served as Associate Editor for Chemical Science since the journal launched in 2010 was honored by the Royal Society of Chemistry with the 2018 Catalysis in Organic Chemistry Award. The Gerald E. K. Branch Distinguished Professor Of Chemistry at UC Berkeley was also elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and won the 2018 Janssen Prize for Creativity in Organic Synthesis.
- Dmitri Talapin was named Louis Block Professor in the Department of Chemistry at the University of Chicago and was recently selected by the ACS for the 2018 Inorganic Nanoscience Award for his pioneering work in the field.
Many other Board Members across the US and Canada have been recognized for their accomplishments with a variety of awards, prizes, and appointments.
- Sarah Tolbert was appointed the Director of the new UCLA-led Synthetic Control Across Length-scales for Advancing Rechargeables, or SCALAR. Sarah is a professor of Chemistry & Biochemistry and Materials Science & Engineering and serves on the Editorial Board of Nanoscale Horizons and led the organizing committee of the 10th International Mesostructured Materials Symposium, IMMS10, which took place September 10-13, 2018 at UCLA.
- Green Chemistry Associate Editor Chao-Jun Li was awarded a prestigious Killam Research Fellowship by the Canada Council for the Arts. CJ is the E.B. Eddy Chair Professor of Chemistry at McGill University, Canada Research Chair in Green/Organic Chemistry, and Director of the NSERC CREATE Center for Green Chemistry Training.
- Professor Heather Maynard serves on the Editorial Board of Polymer Chemistry and was selected for the 2018 UCLA Faculty Student Development Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Award.
- At this year’s annual meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Professor Geoffrey Coates was presented with the 2017 Newcomb Cleveland Prize from the for the best paper published in Science. Geoffrey serves on the Editorial Board of Organic Chemistry Frontiers.
- Peter Vikesland has been named the Nick Prillaman Professor in Engineering by the Virginia Tech Board of Visitors. Peter is the Editor-in-Chief of Environmental Science: Nano and a professor of the civil and environmental engineering in the College of Engineering at Virginia Tech.
Other North American Board Members were honored by the RSC with awards and medals for their contributions to advancing the chemical sciences.
- Professor Bradley Moore, Editorial Board Chair of Natural Product Reports, was honored by the RSC with the Natural Product Award for his pioneering discoveries in the chemical biology, biosynthesis, genomics and engineering of marine natural products.
- Professor Warren Piers was recognized for his contributions to detailed mechanistic understanding of catalytic reactions with the 2018 Ludwig Mond Award. Warren is S. Robert Blair Chair in Polymerization Catalysts and Canada Research Chair in the Mechanisms of Homogeneous Catalysis and serves as an Associate Editor for Dalton Transactions.
- Professor Yang Shao-Horn was honored by the RSC as the first woman to win the Faraday Medal for her work at the chemical/materials physics and physical/materials chemistry interfaces. Prof. Shao-Yang serves on the Editorial Board of Energy & Environmental Sciences.
See all of the 2018 winners of Royal Society of Chemistry Prizes & Awards, which include many of our Advisory Board Members, colleagues and friends from around the world.