A very informative book has been published, edited by Tjeerd Plomp & Nienke Nieveen :Educational design research
- Part A: An introduction
- Part B: Illustrative case studies
The book is free and available online and there are many contributions concerning science education.
- Introduction to educational design research – Tjeerd Plomp
- Curricular development research as a specimen of educational design research – Jan van den Akker
- Design research from learning design perspective – Koeno Gravemeijer & Paul Cobb
- The integrative learning design framework – Brenda Bannan
- When is design research appropriate – Eamonn Kelly
- Formative evaluation in educational design research – Nienke Nieveen & Elvira Folmer
- Selected references and sources on educational design research
- representing all educational levels: (pre-)primary education, junior and senior secondary education, teacher education, other higher education, and also workplace learning;
- reflecting various domains in the field of education, such as curriculum, learning and instruction, subject-related pedagogy (for example math education, language education, science education), instructional technology, ICT in education
- reflecting various purposes of design research, such as developing an innovative intervention or developing or a new instructional or learning theory
- providing a wide variety of international examples.